- Daniel Rea, Adele Francis, Andrew Hamby, Valerie Spiers, Emad Rakha, Abeer Shaaban, Stephen Chan, Sarah Vinnicombe, Ian Ellis, Stewart G Martin, J Louise Jones, and Fedor Berdichevski. Inflammatory breast cancer: Time to standardise diagnosis assessment and management, and for the joining of forces to facilitate effective research. Britich Journal of Cancer. 2015. 112, 1613–1615.
- Arvind Arora, Tarek MA Abdel-Fatah, Devika Agarwal, Rachel Doherty, Paul M Moseley, Andrew Green, Graham Ball, Alaa T Alshareeda, Emad Rakha, Stephen Y T Chan, Ian O Ellis, and Srinivasan Madhusudan. Transcriptomic and protein expression analysis reveals clinicopathological significance of Bloom’s syndrome helicase (BLM) in breast cancer. Molecular Cancer Therapeutics. April 2015.
- Tarek M Abdel-Fatah, Paul Moseley, Andrew Lee, Sarha Pinder, Graham Balls, Alen Chan, Ian O Ellis, Stephen Chan. A new pathological response index (NPRI) for neoadjuvant chemotherapy accurately predicts clinical outcomes of locally advanced breast cancers (LABC). Clinical Cancer Research. March 2015.
- Alexey Manikhas; Bogdan Zurawski; ewa Chmielowska; boguslawa karaszewska; rozenn allerton; Chan Steve; Alessandra Fabi; Paolo Bidoli; stephania gori; Eva M Ciruelos; Magdolna Dank; Lajos Hornyak; Sara Margolin; arnd nusch; Roma Parikh; Fareha Nagi; Michelle Desilvio; sergio santillanas; ramona swaby; vladimir semiglazov. CEREBEL (EGF111438): A Phase III, Randomized, Open-Label Study of Lapatinib Plus Capecitabine Versus Trastuzumab Plus Capecitabine in Patients with Human Epidermal Growth Factor 2 – Positive Metastatic Breast Cancer. Journal of Clinical Oncology. Published online before print January 20, 2015.
- Nada Albarakati, Tarek M.A. Abdel-Fatah, Paul M. Moseley, Kerstie Johnson, Christina Perry, Stephen Y.T. Chan, Claire Seedhouse, Ian O. Ellis, Srinivasan Madhusudan.Targeting BRCA1-BER deficient breast cancer by ATM or DNA-PKcs blockade either alone or in combination with cisplatin for personalized therapy Molecular Oncology. Volume 9, Issue 1, January 2015, Pages 204–217.
- Tarek MA Abdel-Fatah, Fiona Middleton, Arvind Arora, Devika Agarwal, Tao Chen, Paul M Moseley, Christina Perry, Stephen YT Chan, Andrew R Green, Emad Rakha, Graham Ball, Ian O Ellis, Nicola Curtin, and Srinivasan Madhusudan. Untangling the ATR-Chk1 network for prognostication, prediction and therapeutic target validation in breast cancer. Molecular Oncology. Published Online: November 06, 2014.
- Tarek MA Abdel-Fatah, Arvind Arora, Nouf Alsubhi, Devika Agarwal, Paul M Moseley, Christina Perry, Rachel Doherty, Stephen YT Chan, Andrew R Green, Emad Rakha, Graham Ball, Ian O Ellis, and Srinivasan Madhusudan. Clinicopathological significance of ATM-Chk2 expression in sporadic breast cancers: a comprehensive analysis in large cohorts. Neoplasia. Vol 16, Issue 11, November 2014, Pages 982–991
- Tarek MA Abdel-Fatah, Roslin Russell, Nada Albarakati, David J Maloney, Dorjbal Dorjsuren, Oscar M Rueda, Paul Moseley, Vivek Mohan, Hongmao Sun, Rachel Abbotts, Abhik Mukherjee, Devika Agarwal, Jennifer L. Illuzzi, Ajit Jadhav, Anton Simeonov, Graham Ball, Stephen Chan, Carlos Caldas, Ian OEllis, David M Wilson III and Srinivasan Madhusudan. Genomic and protein expression analysis reveals Flap endonuclease 1 (FEN1) as a key biomarker in breast and ovarian cancer. Molecular Oncology, Vol 8, Issue 7, October 2014, Pages 1326–1338
- Methaq Al-kaabi, Alaa Alshareeda, Dena Jerjees, Abir Muftah, Andrew Green, Nouf Alsubhi, Christopher Nolan, Stephen Chan, Eleanor Cornford, Srinivasan Madhusudan, Ian Ellis, and Emad Rakha. Checkpoint kinase1 (CHK1) is an important biomarker in breast cancer playing a role in chemotherapy response. British Journal of Cancer. Accepted for publication 23rd September 2014
- Tarek M Abdel-Fatah; Arvind Arora; Paul Moseley; Clare Coveney; Christina Perry; Kerstie Johnson; Christopher Kent; Graham Ball; Stephen Chan; Srinivasan Madhusudan. ATM, ATR and DNA-PKcs expression correlate to adverse clinical outcomes in epithelial ovarian cancers. BBA Clinical. August 2014.
- Tarek MA Abdel-Fatah, Christina Perry, Arvind Arora, Nicola Thompson, Rachel Doherty, Paul M Moseley, Andrew R Green, Stephen YT Chan, Ian O Ellis, and Srinivasan Madhusudan. Is there a role for base excision repair in estrogen/estrogen receptor driven breast cancers? Antioxidant and Redox signalling – News and Views. August 2014.
- Tarek Abdel-Fatah, Arvind Arora, Devika Agarwal, Paul Moseley, Christina Perry, Nicola Thompson, Andrew R Green, Emad Rakha, Stephen Chan, Carlos Caldas, Graham Ball, Ian O Ellis and Srinivasan Madhusudan. Adverse prognostic and predictive significance of low DNA-dependent protein kinase catalytic subunit (DNA-PKcs) expression in early stage breast cancers. Breast Cancer Research and Treatment. Accepted 11th June 2014.
- Christina Perry, Devika Agarwal, Tarek M.A. Abdel-Fatah, Anbarasu Lourdusamy, Richard Grundy, Dorothee T. Auer, David Walker, Ravi Lakhani, Ian S. Scott, Stephen Chan, Graham Ball, and Srinivasan Madhusudan. Dissecting DNA repair in adult high grade gliomas for patient stratification in the post-genomic era. Oncotarget, vol 5, No. 14. 9th July 2014.
- Andrew R. Green, Fabrício F. T. Barros, Tarek M. A. Abdel-Fatah, Paul Moseley, Christopher C. Nolan, Alice C. Durham, Emad A. Rakha, Stephen Chan, Ian O. Ellis. HER2/HER3 heterodimers and p21 expression are capable of predicting adjuvant trastuzumab response in HER2+ breast cancer. Breast Cancer Research and Treatment. May 2014, Volume 145, Issue 1, pp 33-44,
- Tarek MA Abdel-Fatah, Stephanie E McArdle, Catherine Johnson, Paul Moseley, Graham Ball, Graham Pokely, Ian O Ellis, Robert C Rees, Stephen YT Chan. HAGE (DDX43) is a biomarker for poor prognosis in breast cancer (BC) and a potential novel target for combined chemotherapy and immunotherapy. British Journal of Cancer, 110, 2450-2461. 22nd April 2014.
- Fabricio FT Barros, Tarek MA Abdel-Fatah, Paul Moseley, Christopher C Nolan, Alice C Durham, Emad A Rakha, Stephen Chan, Ian O Ellis and Andrew R Green. Characterisation of HER Heterodimers in Breast Cancer Using in situ Proximity Ligation Assay. Breast Cancer Research and Treatment. April 2014. Volume 144, Issue 2, pp 273-285
- Chan, M. Campone, A. Santoro, P. F. Conte, M. Bostnavaron & L. Nguyen. A phase I clinical and pharmacokinetic study evaluating vinflunine in combination with epirubicin as first-line treatment in metastatic breast cancer. Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology: Volume 73, Issue 5 (14th March 2014), Page 903-910
- Victoria Brown, Stephen Chan. Combination chemotherapy and targeted agents. Clinical Insights ebook, Chapter 1. Future medicine part of the future science group. 2014.
- Tarek M. A. Abdel-Fatah, Christina Perry, Paul Moseley, Kerstie Johnson, Arvind Arora, Stephen Chan, Ian O Ellis, Srinivasan Madhusudan. Clinicopathological significance of human apurinic/apyrimidinic endonuclease 1 (APE1) expression in oestrogen-receptor-positive breast cancer. Breast Cancer Research and Treatment. February 2014, Volume 143, Issue 3, pp 411-421.
- Tarek MA Abdel-Fatah, Roslin Russell, Devika Agarwal, Paul Moseley, Abayomi M Ayotunde, Christina Perry, Nada Albarakati, Graham Ball, Stephen Chan, Carlos Caldas, Ian O Ellis and Srinivasan Madhusudan. DNA polymerase beta deficiency is linked to aggressive breast cancer: a comprehensive analysis of gene copy number, mRNA and protein expression in multiple cohorts. Molecular Oncology. 2014 Jan.
- Helena M Earl, Anne-Laure Vallier, Louise Hiller, Nicola Fenwick, Jennie Young, Mahesh Iddawela, Jean Abraham, Luke Hughes-Davies, Ioannis Gounaris, Karen McAdam, Stephen Houston, Tamas Hickish, Anthony Skene, Stephen Chan, Susan Dean, Diana Ritchie, Robert Laing, Mark Harries, Christopher Gallagher, Gordon Wishart, Janet Dunn, Elena Provenzano, Carlos Caldas. Effects of the addition of gemcitabine, and paclitaxel-first sequencing, in neoadjuvant sequential epirubicin, cyclophosphamide, and paclitaxel for women with high-risk early breast cancer (Neo-tAnGo): an open-label, 2×2 factorial randomised phase 3 trial. Lancet Oncology. (Feb 2014) Vol 15, Issue , Page 201-212.
- Yewon Jung, Tarek M.A. Abdel-Fatah, Stephen Y.T. Chan, Christopher C. Nolan, Andrew R. Green, Ian O. Ellis, Lili Li4, Baiqu Huang, Jun Lu, Bing Xu, Longxin Chen, Runlin Z. Ma, Min Zhang, Jingru Wang, ZhengSheng Wu, Tao Zhu, Jo K. Perry, Peter E. Lobie, and Dong-Xu Liu. SHON Is a Novel Estrogen-Regulated Oncogene in Mammary Carcinoma That Predicts Patient Response to Endocrine Therapy. Cancer Research. 1st Dec. 2013.
- Tarek Abdel-fatah, Nada Albarakati, Lara Bowell, Devika Agarwal, Paul Moseley, Claire Hawkes, Graham Ball, Stephen Chan, Ian O Ellis and Srinivasan Madhusudan. Single-strand selective monofunctional uracil-DNA glycosylase (SMUG1) deficiency is linked to aggressive breast cancer and predicts response to adjuvant therapy. Breast Cancer Research and Treatment. 2013 Dec.
- Russell Burcombe, Steve Chan, Richard Simcock, Kunal Samanta, Frances Percival, Peter Barrett-Lee. Subcutaneous Trastuzumab: A UK Time and Motion Study in comparison with Intravenous Formulation for the Treatment of Patients with HER2-positive Early Breast Cancer. Advances in Breast Cancer Research. 2013 Oct.
- Devika Agarwal, Tarek Abdel-Fatah, Stephen Chan, Robert C. Rees, Ian O Ellis, and Graham R. Ball. Using an Artificial Neural Networks Based Inference Algorithm to Investigate the Genetic Basis of Histologic Grade in Breast Cancer. International Conference on Applied Informatics for Health and Life Sciences. Sept 2013.
- Abdel-Fatah TM, Perry C, Dickinson P, Ball G, Moseley P, Madhusudan S, Ellis IO, Chan SY. Bcl2 is an independent prognostic marker of triple negative breast cancer (TNBC) and predicts response to anthracycline combination (ATC) chemotherapy (CT) in adjuvant and neoadjuvant settings. Oncol. 2013 Aug 1.
- Gianni, G.H. Romieu, M. Lichinitser, S.V. Serrano, M. Mansutti, X. Pivot, P. Mariani, F. Andre, A. Chan, O. Lipatov, S. Chan, A. Wardley, R. Greil, N. Moore, S. Prot, C. Pallaud, and V. Semiglazov. AVEREL: A Randomized Phase III Trial Evaluating Bevacizumab in Combination With Docetaxel and Trastuzumab As First-Line Therapy for HER2-Positive Locally Recurrent/Metastatic Breast Cancer JCO May 10, 2013:1719-1725; published online on April 8, 2013; DOI:10.1200/JCO.2012.44.7912.
- Sultana R, Abdel-Fatah T, Perry C, Moseley P, Albarakti N, Mohan V, Seedhouse C, Chan S, Madhusudan S. Ataxia telangiectasia mutated and Rad3 related (ATR) protein kinase inhibition is synthetically lethal in XRCC1 deficient ovarian cancer cells. One. 2013;8(2):e57098.
- Sultana R, Abdel-Fatah T, Abbotts R, Hawkes C, Albarakati N, Seedhouse C, Ball G, Chan S, Rakha EA, Ellis IO, Madhusudan S. Targeting XRCC1 deficiency in breast cancer for personalized therapy. Cancer Res. 2013 Mar 1;73(5):1621-34.
- Abdel-Fatah T, Sultana R, Abbotts R, Hawkes C, Seedhouse C, Chan S, Madhusudan S. Clinicopathological and functional significance of XRCC1 expression in ovarian cancer. J Cancer 2013 Jun 15;132(12):2778-86.
- Rakha E, Wong SC, Soomro I, Chaudry Z, Sharma A, Deen S, Chan S, Abu J, Nunns D, Williamson K, McGregor A, Hammond R, Brown L. Clinical outcome of atypical endometrial hyperplasia diagnosed on an endometrial biopsy: institutional experience and review of literature. J Surg.Pathol. 2012 Nov;36(11):1683-90.
- Vainas, S Ariad, O Amir, W Mermershtain, V Vainstein1, M Kleiman, O Inbar, R Ben-A, A Mukherjee, S Chan and Z Agur: Personalising docetaxel and G-CSF schedule in cancer patients by a clinically validated computational mode. Br J Cancer. 2012 Aug 21;107(5):814-22. doi: 10.1038/bjc.2012.316. Epub 2012 Jul 19.
- Woolston CM, Zhang L, Storr SJ, Al-Attar A, Shehata M, Ellis IO, Chan SY, Martin SG. The prognostic and predictive power of redox protein expression for anthracycline-based chemotherapy response in locally advanced breast cancer. Mod Pathol. 2012 Aug;25(8):1106-16. doi: 10.1038/modpathol.2012.60. Epub 2012 Apr 6.
- Storr SJ, Safuan S, Woolston CM, Abdel-Fatah T, Deen S, Chan SY, Martin SG. Calpain-2 expression is associated with response to platinum based chemotherapy, progression-free and overall survival in ovarian cancer. J Cell Mol Med. 2012 Mar 21. doi: 10.1111/j.1582-4934.2012.01559.x. [Epub ahead of print]
- Mhlanga JC, Evans AE, Doyle S, James JJ, Cornford EJ, Balls G, Chan SY, Ellis I: The prognostic significance of computerised tomography findings in women with liver metastases from breast cancer. Breast 2011 May 18;20:455-459.
- Mvere MZ, James JJ, Cornford EJ, Tennant SL, Evans AJ, Ellis IO, Chan SY: Frequency and patterns of metastatic disease in locally advanced inflammatory and non-inflammatory breast cancer. Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol ) 2011 May 5; 23:608-612.
- Rakha EA, Chan S: Metastatic triple-negative breast cancer. Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol ) 2011 April 29 ;23:587-600.
- Storr SJ, Woolston CM, Barros FF, Green AR, Shehata M, Chan SY, Ellis IO, Martin SG: Calpain-1 expression is associated with relapse-free survival in breast cancer patients treated with trastuzumab following adjuvant chemotherapy. Int J Cancer 2011;129:1773-1780.
- Mukherjee A, Shehata M, Moseley P, Rakha E, Ellis I, Chan S: Topo2alpha protein expression predicts response to anthracycline combination neo-adjuvant chemotherapy in locally advanced primary breast cancer. Br J Cancer 9th 2010;103:1794-1800.
- Woolston CM, Deen S, Al-Attar A, Shehata M, Chan SY, Martin SG: Redox protein expression predicts progression-free and overall survival in ovarian cancer patients treated with platinum-based chemotherapy. Free Radic Biol Med 2010;49:1263-1272.
- Mvere M, Tennant S, Evans A, Ellis I, James J, Shehat M, Chan S: Pathological features and patterns of metastatic disease in locally advanced inflammatory and non-inflammatory breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res 2009;11 Suppl 2:O3.
- Al-Attar A, Gossage L, Fareed KR, Shehata M, Mohammed M, Zaitoun AM, Soomro I, Lobo DN, Abbotts R, Chan S, Madhusudan S: Human apurinic/apyrimidinic endonuclease (APE1) is a prognostic factor in ovarian, gastro-oesophageal and pancreatico-biliary cancers. Br J Cancer 2010;102:704-709.
- Poveda A, Vergote I, Tjulandin S, Kong B, Roy M, Chan S, Filipczyk-Cisarz E, Hagberg H, Kaye SB, Colombo N, Lebedinsky C, Parekh T, Gómez J, Park YC, Alfaro V, Monk BJ: Trabectedin plus pegylated liposomal doxorubicin in relapsed ovarian cancer: outcomes in the partially platinum-sensitive (platinum-free interval 6-12 months) subpopulation of OVA-301 phase III randomized trial. Ann Oncol. 2011 Jan;22(1):39-48. doi: 10.1093/annonc/mdq352. Epub 2010 Jul 19.
- Sutherland S, Ashley S, Miles D, Chan S, Wardley A, Davidson N, Bhatti R, Shehata M, Nouras H, Camburn T, Johnston SR: Treatment of HER2-positive metastatic breast cancer with Lapatinib and Capecitabine in the Lapatinib expanded access programme, including efficacy in brain metastases – the UK experience. Br J Cancer. 2010 Mar 16;102(6):995-1002. doi: 10.1038/sj.bjc.6605586. Epub 2010 Feb 23.
- Waller CF, Semiglazov VF, Tjulandin S, Bentsion D, Chan S, Challand R: A Phase III randomised equivalence Study of Biosimilar Filgrastim versus Amgen Filgrastim in patients receiving myelosuppressive chemotherapy for breast cancer. 2010;33(10):504-11. doi: 10.1159/000319693. Epub 2010 Sep 6.
- Al-Attar A, Shehata M, Durrant L, Moseley P, Deen S, Chan S: T cell density and location can influence the prognosis of ovarian cancer. Pathol Oncol Res 2010;16:361-370.
- Aleskandarany MA, Green AR, Rakha EA, Mohammed RA, Elsheikh SE, Powe DG, Paish EC, Macmillan RD, Chan S, Ahmed SI, Ellis IO: Growth fraction as a predictor of response to chemotherapy in node-negative breast cancer. Int J Cancer 2010;126:1761-1769.
- Shehata M, Mukherjee A, Deen S, Al-Attar A, Durrant LG, Chan S: Human leukocyte antigen class I expression is an independent prognostic factor in advanced ovarian cancer resistant to first-line platinum chemotherapy. Br J Cancer 2009;101:1321-1328.
- Fumoleau P, Cortes-Funes H, Taleb AB, Chan S, Campone M, Pouget JC, Tubiana-Hulin M, Slabber CF, Caroff-Paraiso I, Alberts AS, Ayed FB: Phase 2 Study of Single-Agent IV Vinflunine as Third-Line Treatment of Metastatic Breast Cancer After Failure of Anthracycline-/Taxane-Based Chemotherapy. Am J Clin Oncol
- Chan S, Romieu G, Huober J, Delozier T, Tubiana-Hulin M, Schneeweiss A, Lluch A, Llombart A, du BA, Kreienberg R, Mayordomo JI, Anton A, Harrison M, Jones A, Carrasco E, Vaury AT, Frimodt-Moller B, Fumoleau P: Phase III study of gemcitabine plus docetaxel compared with capecitabine plus docetaxel for anthracycline-pretreated patients with metastatic breast cancer. Journal of Clinical Oncology 2009;27:1753-1760.
- Tanteles GA, Whitworth J, Mills J, Peat I, Osman A, McCann GP, Chan S, Barwell JG, Talbot CJ, Symonds RP: Can cutaneous telangiectasiae as late normal-tissue injury predict cardiovascular disease in women receiving radiotherapy for breast cancer? Br J Cancer. 2009 Aug 4;101(3):403-9. doi: 10.1038/sj.bjc.6605182. Epub 2009 Jul 14.
- Mathew J, Asgeirsson KS, Cheung KL, Chan S, Dahda A, Robertson JF: Neoadjuvant chemotherapy for locally advanced breast cancer: a review of the literature and future directions. Eur J Surg Oncol 2009;35:113-122.
- Huber K, Patel P, Zhang L, Evans H, Westwell AD, Fischer PM, Chan S, Martin S: 2-[(1-methylpropyl)dithio]-1H-imidazole inhibits tubulin polymerization through cysteine oxidation. Mol Cancer Ther 2008;7:143-151.
- Cameron D, Casey M, Press M, Lindquist D, Pienkowski T, Romieu CG, Chan S, Jagiello-Gruszfeld A, Kaufman B, Crown J, Chan A, Campone M, Viens P, Davidson N, Gorbounova V, Raats JI, Skarlos D, Newstat B, Roychowdhury D, Paoletti P, Oliva C, Rubin S, Stein S, Geyer CE: A Phase III randomised comparison of Lapatinib versus Capecitabine alone in women with advanced breast cancer that has progressed on Trastuzumab: Updated efficacy and biomarker analysis. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2008 Dec;112(3):533-43. doi: 10.1007/s10549-007-9885-0. Epub 2008 Jan 11.
- Burzykowski T, Buyse M, Piccart-Gebhart MJ, Sledge G, Carmichael J, Lück HJ, Mackey JR, Nabholtz JM, Paridaens R, Biganzoli L, Jassem J, Bontenbal M, Bonneterre J, Chan S, Basaran GA, Therasse P: Evaluation of tumour response, disease control, progression-free survival and time to progression as potential surrogate endpoints in metastatic breast cancer. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2008 Apr 20;26(12):1987-92. doi: 10.1200/JCO.2007.10.8407.
- Piccart-Gebhart M.J. Burzykowski T., Buyse M., Sledge G., Carmichael J., Lück H., Mackey J.R., Nabholtz J., Paridaens R., Biganzoli L., Jassem J., Bontenbal M., Bonneterre J., Chan , Basaran G.A. and Therasse P.: Taxanes alone or in combination with Anthracyclines as first-line therapy of patients with metastatic breast cancer. doi: 10.1200/JCO.2007.10.8399 JCO April 20, 2008 vol. 26 no. 12 1980-1986.
- Bristow AR, Agrawal A, Evans AJ, Burrell HC, Cornford EJ, James JJ, Hamilton L, Robertson JF, Chan SY, Lawton PA, Cheung KL: Can computerised tomography replace bone scintigraphy in detecting bone metastases from breast cancer? A prospective study. Breast 2008;17:98-103.
- Shehata, A. Mukherjee, R. Sharma, S. Chan: Reduced cardiotoxic profile of Myocet (nonpegylated liposomal doxorubicin). Hospital Pharmacy Europe (2008)
- Krasner CN, McMeekin DS, Chan S, Braly PS, Renshaw FG, Kaye S, Provencher DM, Campos S, Gore ME.: A Phase II Study of Trabectedin single agent in patients with recurrent ovarian cancer previously treated with platinum-based regimens. Br J Cancer. 2007 Dec 17;97(12):1618-24. Epub 2007 Nov 13.
- Shehata M, Mukherjee A, Sharma R, Chan S: Liposomal doxorubicin in breast cancer. Womens Health (Lond Engl ) 2007;3:557-569.
- Mukherjee A, Dhadda AS, Shehata M, Chan S: Lapatinib: a tyrosine kinase inhibitor with a clinical role in breast cancer. Expert Opin Pharmacother 2007;8:2189-2204.
- Mathew J, Asgeirsson KS, Agrawal A, Mukherjee A, Ellis IO, Cheung KL, Chan SY, Robertson JF: Neoadjuvant chemotherapy in locally advanced primary breast cancers: the Nottingham experience. Eur J Surg Oncol 2007;33:972-976.
- Chan S, Dhadda AS, Swindell R: Single fraction radiotherapy for small superficial carcinoma of the skin. Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol ) 2007;19:256-259.
- Chan S, Griffin M, Stewart J, Gregory K, Hughes A, Awwad S, Allerton R, Pledge S, Thomas H, Percival F: Modern chemotherapy management of recurrent ovarian cancer: a multicentre study. Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol ) 2007;19:129-134.
- Geyer C.E., Forster J., Lindquist D., Chan S, Romieu G.C., Pienkowski T., Jagiello-Gruszfeld A., Crown J.A., Chan A., Kaufman B., Skarlos D., Campone M., Davidson N., Berger M., Oliva C., Rubin S.D., Stein S., and Cameron D.: Lapatinib plus Capecitabine for HER-2 positive advanced breast cancer. N Engl J Med 2006; 355:2733-2743December 28, 2006 DOI: 10.1056/NEJMoa064320
- Dhadda AS, Chan S.: Bilateral avascular necrosis of the hips after chemoradiotherapy for cervical cancer. Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol). 2006 Sep;18(7):576-7.
- Chan: Gemcitabine plus Docetaxel versus Capecitabine plus Docetaxel for patients with Anthracycline pre-treated metastatic breast cancer: a review of the results of a European Phase III Trial. Available on line 29th March 2006. European Journal of Cancer Supplements (2005) Vol 3, Issue 5: 17 – 21
- Stokes, P. Symonds, T. Habshaw, N. Reen, J. Curto, C. Joyson and S. Chan: Phase I dose finding Study of Capecitabine (Xeloda), radiotherapy and Cisplatin in the treatment of locally advanced squamous cervical cancer. Gynaecological Oncology (2005) 97 (3): 790 – 795.
- Marty, F. Cognetti, D. Maraninchi, R. Snyder, L. Mauriac, M. Tubiana-Hulin, S. Chan, D. Grimes, A. Anton, A. Lluch, J. Kennedy, K. O’Byrne, P. Conte, M. Green, C. Ward, K Mayne and J.M Extra: Efficacy and safety of Trastuzumab combined with Docetaxel in patients with human epidermal grow factor receptor 2-positive metastatic breast cancer administered as a first-line treatment: Results of a randomised Phase II Trial by the M77001 Study Group. Journal of Clinical Oncology (2005) 23 (19): 4265 – 4274.
- Chan S, Scheulen ME, Johnston S, Mross K, Cardoso F, Dittrich C, Eiermann W, Hess D, Morant R, Semiglazov V, Borner M, Salzberg M, Ostapenko V, Illiger HJ, Behringer D, Bardy-Bouxin N, Boni J, Kong S, Cincotta M, Moore L: Phase II study of temsirolimus (CCI-779), a novel inhibitor of mTOR, in heavily pretreated patients with locally advanced or metastatic breast cancer. Journal of Clinical Oncology 2005 ;23:5314-5322.
- Durbecq, M. Paesmans, F. Cardoso, C. Desmedt, A. Di Leo, S. Chan, K. Friedrichs, T. Pinter, S.V. Belle, E. Murray, I. Bodrogi, E. Walpole, B. Lesperance, S. Korec, J. Crown, P. Simmonds, T.J. Perren, J.Leroy, G. Rouas, C. Sotiriou, M. Piccart, and D. Larsimont: Topoisomerase-II alpha expression as a predictive tumour marker in a population of advanced breast cancer patients randomly treated either with single agent Doxorubicin or single agent Docetaxel. Mol Cancer Ther October 2004 3:10 1207-1214
- Anand A, Chan SY: The use of topotecan for relapsed ovarian cancer in accordance with the National Institute for Clinical Excellence Guidance 2001: the Nottingham experience. Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol ) 2004;16:543-548.
- Porter GJ, Evans AJ, Pinder SE, James JJ, Cornford EC, Burrell HC, Chan SY, Cheung KL, Robertson JF: Patterns of metastatic breast carcinoma: influence of tumour histological grade. Clin Radiol 2004;59:1094-1098.
- Chan S, Davidson N, Juozaityte E, Erdkamp F, Pluzanska A, Azarnia N, Lee LW: Phase III trial of liposomal doxorubicin and cyclophosphamide compared with epirubicin and cyclophosphamide as first-line therapy for metastatic breast cancer. Ann Oncol 2004;15:1527-1534.
- Chan S: Targeting the mammalian target of rapamycin (mTOR): a new approach to treating cancer. Br J Cancer 2004;91:1420-1424.
- Evans AJ, James JJ, Cornford EJ, Chan SY, Burrell HC, Pinder SE, Gutteridge E, Robertson JF, Hornbuckle J, Cheung KL: Brain metastases from breast cancer: identification of a high-risk group. Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol ) 2004;16:345-349.
- Panigrahi AR, Pinder SE, Chan SY, Paish EC, Robertson JF, Ellis IO: The role of PTEN and its signalling pathways, including AKT, in breast cancer; an assessment of relationships with other prognostic factors and with outcome. J Pathol 2004;204:93-100.
- Hamilton LJ, Evans AJ, Pinder SE, James JJ, Gutteridge E, Cornford EJ, Burrell HC, Chan SY, Robertson JF, Cheung KL: Metastatic carcinoma of the breast with tubular features: differences compared with metastatic ductal carcinoma of no specific type. Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol ) 2004;16:119-124.
- James JJ, Evans AJ, Pinder SE, Gutteridge E, Cheung KL, Chan S, Robertson JF: Bone metastases from breast carcinoma: histopathological – radiological correlations and prognostic features. Br J Cancer 2003;89:660-665.
- Wyld L, Gutteridge E, Pinder SE, James JJ, Chan SY, Cheung KL, Robertson JF, Evans AJ: Prognostic factors for patients with hepatic metastases from breast cancer. Br J Cancer. 2003 Jul 21;89(2):284-90.
- Chan S: Second-line chemotherapy for ovarian cancer. Lancet Oncol 2003;4:333-334.
- Chan SY, Gordon AN, Coleman RE, Hall JB, Berger MS, Sherman ML, Eten CB, Finkler NJ: A phase 2 study of the cytotoxic immunoconjugate CMB-401 (hCTM01-calicheamicin) in patients with platinum-sensitive recurrent epithelial ovarian carcinoma. Cancer Immunol Immunother 2003;52:243-248.
- Chan S: Principles of cancer treatment by hormone therapy. Surgery. 2003.
- Chan S: Arzoxifene in breast cancer. Eur J Cancer 2002;38 Suppl 6:S55-S56.
- Chan S: A review of selective estrogen receptor modulators in the treatment of breast and endometrial cancer. Semin Oncol 2002;29:129-133.
- L. Cheung, S. Chan, A.J. Evans, L. Winterbottom and J.F.R. Robertson: Management of advanced breast cancer. The Hong Kong Practitioner. 2002.
- Tan SM, Cheung KL, Willsher PC, Blamey RW, Chan SY, Robertson JF: Locally advanced primary breast cancer: medium-term results of a randomised trial of multimodal therapy versus initial hormone therapy. Eur J Cancer 2001;37:2331-2338.
- Whitlock JP, Evans AJ, Jackson L, Chan SY, Robertson JF: Imaging of metastatic breast cancer: distribution and radiological assessment at presentation. Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol ) 2001;13:181-186.
- Cheung KL, Pinder SE, Paish C, Sadozye AH, Chan SY, Evans AJ, Blamey RW, Robertson JF: The role of blood tumour marker measurement in directing chemotherapy in metastatic breast cancer. Int J Biol Markers. 2000 Jul-Sep;15(3):203-9.
- Gillespie AM, Broadhead TJ, Chan SY, Owen J, Farnsworth AP, Sopwith M, Coleman RE: Phase I open study of the effects of ascending doses of cytotoxic immunoconjugate CMB-401 (hCTMO1-calichaemicin) in patients with epithelial ovarian cancer. Ann Oncol. 2000 Jun;11(6):735-41.
- Chan S, Friedrichs K, Noel D, Pintér T, Van Belle S, Vorobiof D, Duarte R, Gil Gil M, Bodrogi I, Murray E, Yelle L, von Minckwitz G, Korec S, Simmonds P, Buzzi F, González Mancha R, Richardson G, Walpole E, Ronzoni M, Murawsky M, Alakl M, Riva A, Crown J; 303 Study Group: Prospective randomised trial of Docetaxel versus Doxorubicin in patients with metastatic breast cancer. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 1999 Aug;17(8):2341-54.
- Stevens KJ, Smith SL, Denley H, Pinder SE, Evans AJ, Chan SY: Is mammography of value in women with disseminated cancer of unknown origin? Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol). 1999;11(2):90-2.
- ten Bokkel Huinink WW, de Swart CA, van Toorn DW, Morack G, Breed WP, Hillen HF, van der Hoeven JJ, Reed NS, Fairlamb DJ, Chan SY, Godfrey KA, Kristensen GB, van Tinteren H, Ehmer B.: Controlled multicentre study of influence of subcutaneous recombinant human erythropoietin on anaemia and transfusion dependency in patients with platinum-based chemotherapy. Med Oncol. 1998 Sep;15(3):174-82.
- Willsher PC, Robertson JF, Chan SY, Jackson L, Blamey RW.: Locally advanced breast cancer. Early results of a randomised trial of Multimodal Therapy versus initial Hormone Therapy. Eur J Cancer. 1997 Jan;33(1):45-9.
- Davidson NG, Chick JB, Perren TJ, Campbell N, Thompson JM, Chan YT.: A Phase II Study of single agent Pacletaxel in patients at first relapse following initial chemotherapy for breast cancer. Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol). 1996;8(6):358-62.
- Chopra S, Wastie ML, Chan S, Vincent RM, Przeslak A, Perkins AC, Ubhi CS.: Assessment of completeness of thyroid ablation by estimation of neck uptake of 131 I on whole body scans: Comparison of quantification and visual assessment of thyroid assessment of thyroid bed uptake. Nucl Med Commun. 1996 Aug;17(8):687-91.
- Chan S, Winterbottom L, Gardner S.: Response to Dexamethasone in patients with fluid retention after Docetaxel. 1996 May 25;347(9013):1486-7.
- Dobbs SP, Gribbin C, Chan SY, Bessell EM.: Second-line treatment with Ifosfamide and Carboplatin in patients with ovarian carcinoma relapsing after treatment with Carboplatin. Eur J Cancer. 1994;30A(1):30-3.
- Sewell HF, Halbert CF, Robins RA, Galvin A, Chan S, Blamey RW.: Chemotherapy induced differential changes in lymphocyte subsets and natural killer-cell function in patients with advanced breast cancer. Int J Cancer. 1993 Nov 11;55(5):735-8.
- Dixon AR, Jackson L, Chan SY, Badley RA, Blamey RW.: Continuous chemotherapy in responsive metastatic breast cancer: a role for tumour markers? Br J Cancer. 1993 Jul;68(1):181-5.
- Dixon AR, Jackson L, Chan S, Haybittle J, Blamey RW.: A randomised trial of second-line hormone versus single agent chemotherapy in Tamoxifen resistant advanced breast cancer. Br J Cancer. 1992 Aug;66(2):402-4.
- R. Dixon, L. Jonrup, S. Chan, R.A. Bradley and R.W. Blamey: Serological monitoring of advanced breast cancer treated by systemic cytotoxic using a combination of ESR, CEA and CA15.3: fact or fiction? Disease Markers. June 1991.
- Y. Chan, Y. Gunn, C.J. Alcock, A.H. Laing: Ten years experience with a chemotherapy regime for ovarian cancer. Gynecologic Oncology, Volume 31, Issue 2, October 1988, Pages 285–291
- Chan and K. Sikora: Testicular relapse after chemotherapy for malignant teratoma. British Medical Journal (1987) 195: 1098 – 1099
- Sikora, S. Chan, N. Markham and G. Evan: C-myc oncogene expression in colorectal cancer. Cancer (1987) 59: 1289 – 1295
- Chan, N. Markham, G. Evan and K. Sikora: A novel tumour marker related to the c-myc oncogene. Molecular and Cellular Probes (1987) 1: 73 – 82
- Chan and K. Sikora: The potential of oncogene products as human tumour markers. Cancer Survey (1987) 6 (2): 185 – 207
- Sikora, T. Alderson, S. Chan and N. Markham: Monoclonal antibodies and glioma. Progress in Experimental Research (1986) 29: 45 – 49
- Chan, G. Evan and K. Sikora: The detection of c-myc oncogene produce in patients with solid tumours. Journal of Tumour Markers Oncology (1986) 1: 93 – 99
- Chan and K. Sikora: Monoclonal antibodies and its applications in Clinical Oncology. Radiotherapy and Oncology (1986) 1: 1 – 14
- Chan, G. Evan, A. Ritson, J. Watson, P. Wraight and K. Sikora: Localisation of lung cancer by radiolabelled monoclonal antibody again the c-myc oncogene product. British Journal of Cancer (1986) 54: 761 – 769
- Chan, G. Ford and K. Sikora: Late relapse in testicular teratoma after chemotherapy. Lancet (1985) ii: 773
Nottingham Personalised Therapy Oncology Research Group (NPTORG): Summary of Grant Funded Projects (2005 to 2013)
1. Project Title: Virtual cancer patient: simulated biomathmatical model for treatment personalisation in metastatic breast cancer (MBC)
The Virtual Cancer Patient (VCP) engine is a program designed to aid oncologists in predicting individual patient response to different drugs, through mathematically modelling the interplay between biological, pathological and pharmacological processes underlying drug-patient interactions. This project was a collaboration with Optimata, the programs developers, and aimed to test the accuracy of the VCP in predicting response to single agent Docetaxel or doxorubicin treatment in metastatic breast cancer patients. The primary end-point was to determine whether the VCP simulations retrieved the clinical scenario in terms of both response and toxicities.
Funding body 1: Cancer Research UK
Amount provided: £20,000.00
Funding Body 2: Optimata
Amount provided: £16,500.00
Chief Investigator: Dr Stephen Chan
Co-Investigator: Dr Abhik Mukherjee
Duration: 2005 to 2006
Publications resulting from this grant:
Virtual Cancer Patient (VCP) for treatment personalization: prediction accuracy in metastatic breast cancer (MBC) patients
Mukherjee A, Chan S, Arakelyan L, Samuel A, Belianina E, Paish C, Ellis I, Dahan N, Agur Z.
The abstract was presented as a poster at NCRI 2006 Birmingham conference, in accordance with the conditions of the CRUK grant.
2.Project Title: Sanofi Aventis Research Grant
Funding body: Sanofi Aventis
Amount provided: £60,000.00
Chief Investigator: Dr Stephen Chan
Co-Investigator: Dr Abhik Mukherjee
Duration: 2006 to 2008
This project aimed to investigate the expression of redox proteins in breast cancer. Initially this focused on the thioredoxin family of proteins, examining if protein expression correlates with response to therapy in patients, with both early stage and locally advanced breast cancer. The projects second stage was then to discover if targeting the thioredoxin system, using either siRNA or novel drugs, can sensitise breast cancer cells to conventional therapies.
Biomarker based research publications resulting from this grant:
2-[(1-methylpropyl)dithio]-1H-imidazole inhibits tubulin polymerization through cysteine oxidation
Mol Cancer Ther. 2008 Jan;7(1):143-51
The thioredoxin system: a key target in tumour and endothelial cells
Mukherjee A, Martin SG.
Br J Radiol. 2008 Oct;81 Spec No 1:S57-68
Expression of thioredoxin system proteins in locally advanced breast cancer – correlations with response to anthracycline based chemotherapy (C/T)
Zhang, L; Chan, S; Mukherjee, A, et al.
Conference Information: 10th Nottingham International Breast Cancer Conference, Date: SEP 18-20, 2007 Nottingham ENGLAND
EJC SUPPLEMENTS Volume: 5 Issue: 3 Pages: 16-16 Published: 2007
Biomarkers predicting response to a novel oral taxane DJ-927 in metastatic breast cancer (MBC)
Mukherjee, A; Shehata, MA; Huber, K, et al.
Conference Information: 10th Nottingham International Breast Cancer Conference, Date: SEP 18-20, 2007 Nottingham ENGLAND
EJC SUPPLEMENTS Volume: 5 Issue: 3 Pages: 17-17 Published: 2007
Targeting the thioredoxin system in breast cancer treatment
Huber, K; Zhang, L; Church, J, et al.
EJC SUPPLEMENTS Volume: 4 Issue: 12 Pages: 163-163 Published: NOV 2006
In vitro evaluation of potential thioredoxin inhibitors in breast cancer and endothelial cells
Zhang, L; Evans, H; Huber, K, et al.
EJC SUPPLEMENTS Volume: 4 Issue: 12 Pages: 101-101 Published: NOV 2006
This projects aim was to investigate the potential of low dose weekly Docetaxel as an effective, and well tolerated, treatment for metastatic breast cancer patients with severe haematological/hepatic dysfunction.
Clinical research publications resulting from this grant:
Clinical Published Abstracts
Metastatic breast cancer (MBC) patients with hepatic or haematological dysfunction: Efficacy and safety of a novel weekly regime of Docetaxel
AS Dhadda, A Mukherjee, M Shehata, R Molife, S Chan
3.Project Title: Redox proteins in breast cancer
This project aims to investigate the prognostic and predictive potential of redox proteins, in determining response to chemotherapy in Breast Cancer.
Funding Body: Breast Cancer Campaign
Amount provided: £139,514.00
Chief Investigator: Stuart Martin
Co-Investigators: Stephen Chan, Poulam Patel, Ian Ellis, Andrew Green, David Morgan.
Duration: 2007 to 2010
Publications resulting from this grant:
Redox protein expression predicts Anthracycline based chemotherapeutic response in locally advanced breast cancer patients
CM Woolston, SJ Storr, L Zhang, A Al-Attar; M Shehata; IO Ellis, SY Chan; SG Martin.
Breast Cancer Res Treat
4.Project Title: Screening monoclonal antibodies for potential use in ovarian cancer
This project sought to aid the testing and development of monoclonal antibodies (mabs), generated through a platform, developed by Professor Lindy Durrant’s research group, which allows selection of mabs that efficiently kill tumour but do not harm normal cells. For this project mabs were selected which targeted ovarian cancer, these were then tested using fresh tumour obtained from donors. This testing allows the expression of molecules on ovarian tumours to be examined. The aim being to characterise the target of the mab, investigate the mechanism of action and determine its efficiency.
Funding Body 1: Medical Research Council
Amount provided: £100,000.00
Funding body 2: Cancer Research UK
Amount provided: £260,000.00
Co-Investigators: Prof Lindy Durrant, Dr Ian Spendlove, Dr Stephen Chan
Duration: 2009 to 2012
Publications resulting from this project are still forthcoming because the tissue collection and investigation phase has not yet been completed.
5.Project Title: Her2 Signalling and Calpain in Breast Cancer
Funding body: Breast Cancer Research Trust
Amount: £129k over 3 years
Duration: October 2012 to October 2015
Chief Investigator: Prof Stuart Martin
Co-Investigators: Dr Stephen Chan, Prof Ian Ellis
Publications resulting from this project are still forthcoming.
6.Project Title: A novel synthetic lethality and anti-cancer therapeutic approach targeting human apurinic/apyrimidinic endonuclease (APE1) in ovarian cancer.
Grant Name: Clinical Research Training Fellowship
Funding Body 1: Medical Research Council (MRC)
Funding Body 2: Target Ovarian Cancer
Duration: 2012 to 2015
Chief Investigator: Dr Srinivasan Madhusudan
Co-Investigators: Dr Stephen Chan
Publications resulting from this project are still forthcoming.